Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Autism Awareness Item Of The Day


My name is Cherry and I am a SAHM of 4 kiddos. My son is the oldest and has an Asperger’s diagnosis. He was originally placed on the spectrum with a PDDNOS diagnosis at 2&1/2 and my husband and I were fortunate enough to just be able to dig in and get him a bunch of help. He is 11 now, main streamed at school and very creative. He was part of the inspiration for a craft business along with my passion for all things crafty and creative. Beading is my primary medium at the moment but I have fallen in love with the whole idea of Artist Trading Cards. My oldest daughter has tried her hand at a few which are very cute, find them at my Etsy shop, she has even gotten an order for a set of greeting cards of one of her designs. Through the Etsy for Autism Team, we were challenged to create an item for a contest and the idea for an Autism Awareness Artist Trading Card was born. The bunny on the card is my lifelong friend, Maynerd, I have doodled him as long as I can remember, and he seemed to me to be the perfect "spokesbunny" for the job. He encourages us all to aspire to be aware, understanding, teachable, interested, supportive and "my" friend, (a friend to anybody with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.) 20% of the sales of all my Autism Awareness items in March and April will be donated to The Autism Society of America. I chose this agency because at the time of my son’s diagnosis, it was one of the forerunners in the field, and offered a local support group that I was able to attend. I would have been lost without the guidance and support I received through it.


Thanks Cherry! Please visit her Etsy shop to find her unique creations.


Have a great day everybody, thanks for stopping by.

No comments: