Monday, September 24, 2007

Art For The Day

©Took Gallagher - 2007 Cat People Collage




Michigan Art-o-mat






Michigan artist Took Gallagher is the host of the Michigan Art-o-mat as well as an art-o-artist. She was kind enough to send me 16 pieces of art from her machine since I was unable to attend the Anniversary Party and Swap Meet in August. Took does collages of Cat and Dog people.

I imagine that being a host makes it very difficult not to have a vast collection of art-o-mats. I think she has shown restraint by only having 150. I asked Took some questions about her art and her experiences as a host and here's some of what she had to say:

Where is the Michigan Art-o-mat located? The current location of my first machine is Dancing Eye Gallery in Northville, MI...about 30 miles wnw of Detroit. Since I do not have a venue of my own, my machines are considered "Community Machines" by Artists in Cellophane. My first machine is considered my "permanent" machine and stays at at location at least 6 months, while my second machine will be a "temporary" machine, staying at venues for
various lengths of time.

How long have you been an Art-o-artist? Since 2000 but I did not become very active until 2004.

Are there other machines that your art is located in besides of course the Michigan Art-o-mat? Egg Design in Lexington, KY, Kishwaukee College in Malta, IL, The Whitney in NY, Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts in Louisville, KY, Clients & Profits in Bonsall, CA, Bucks County Library in Doylestown, PA. I know one of my first locations was Rayko Photo Center in San Francisco, CA.

Have you heard from any buyers? Only one in the very beginning. Other AOM artists have written though.

Have you collected or traded with other Art-o-artists? I have done one trade
with an Art-o-artist from MySpace. I have bought larger pieces from several Art-o-mat artists. I have been an Art-o-mat collector since 1999. I have quite a collection!

Is it a blast being a host? Oh, Betty -- being a host is a dream
come true! I get to see all kinds of art, new art, new artists. I get
to talk about Art-o-mat to anyone who will listen (LOL) and promote the
project. I have been interviewed by several local newspapers and
magazines. I have been contacted to do an early morning radio
interview. With the acquisition of the 2nd machine I will be able to
reach even more communities. (She is waiting for her second machine to arrive any day).

I am planning "Submission Sessions" to show interested artists how to
submit their prototypes to get accepted the first time through. I feel
that I have a lot to offer in that area, being a sort of a "triple
threat" -- host, artist and collector -- I can see 3 sides of an
artpack from 3 points of view. I am really looking forward to hosting these
sessions! My goal is to be able to have one column in each machine
dedicated to Michigan Artists -- but I need to do some heavy duty
recruiting (smile). I have SO many ideas for prototypes/series and I
cannot possibly make all of them, so I am very happy/eager to share
some with my fellow Michigan Artists.

Oh -- as a host, I am also getting involved as a sponsor of Detroit
Derby Girls. Yes, flat track roller girls!!! I will get a banner at
their bouts, an ad in their programs and be linked to their website. I
am very excited about this!!! Some of the girls came to the Art-o-mat
Party at Dancing Eye Gallery and we had a blast!



I had such a great time "talking" with Took about Art-o-mat that I could not possibly include our entire conversation here but I hope that you will get as excited about Art-o-mat as we are.

If you are interested in being a host or an art-o-artist you can find more information at artomat.org. You can also find locations of the Art-o-mat machines. If your city is artomatless please contact your local officials immediately and demand that a machine be installed.

Keep in mind that these are all original works of art and the cost is only $5.00. With the Holidays fast approaching they would make a great gift for anyone and with all the artists to choose from you are bound to find something you'll like.

Thanks Took for taking the time to talk to me and did anyone notice the other nice thing she did? She designed this piece especially for me - it has my initials on it:)

Please do stop back by during the next couple of weeks as I share with you what other art-o-artists had to say. And if you missed yesterdays post please take a look at it to see a preview of the artists that I'll be blogging about.

Have a great day everybody, thanks for stopping by.







2 comments:

Took said...

Thanks for having me as the first host/artist in your fabulous series about Art-o-mat, Betty! I feel so honored.

Art-o-mat art would make wonderful and UNIQUE Stocking Stuffers or Secret Santa gifts...also great for desktops, dorm rooms, an introduction to art for kids...the list is endless!

Pixelektra said...

Great seeing Took's Cat People Collage! I have always loved her animal people collages.